Subject: [Leica] The thirsty among us may rest easy...
From: jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:05:06 -0500

The US Govt considered using strong radiation from Strontium-90 to sterilize
rations for GIs. After exposure to a lot of gamma radiation, the was no
residual radiation and no living bacteria to cause spoilage. Good to eat?
Not necessarily. All of that radiation can produce peroxides and free
radicals, both of which can damage DNA if ingested.

I think there are some irradiated products for sale now (boxed milk, boxed
lunch things with chili beans, meals ready to eat, etc.). I doubt that they
are safer than they were 50 years ago. Instead, I think we just lowered the
standard on what is "safe" to eat.

Jeffery