Subject: [Leica] So, did the price of DMR' s just plummet? If so, I might be tempted to buy another one.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:22:29 -0400

Thanks Richard and you can support my family by also clicking HERE:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/17/Leica-S-medium-format-lens
It seems we can now shoot medium format digital at ISO 1600 and afterwards
it tells you WHERE you shoot it in the metadata as its got built in GPS.
Give me a camera with built in GPS anyday. Warms the cockleshells of my
heart. Everyday I'm looking at my shots going "where the hell was this?"
I'd love to see a map on it of Manhattan with little dots all over it so I
can tell the areas I've not shot yet. Hell also the whole country coast to
coast. From sea to shining sea. That kind of stuff is already happening for
lots of folks I know but its a whole lot easier if its just build into the
camera. Ironically from all I can gather most of the build in gps's goes to
point and shoots.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography

> From: Richard Man <richard at richardmanphoto.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 21:07:29 -0700
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] So, did the price of DMR' s just plummet? If so, I
> might
> be tempted to buy another one.
>
> No major change in the S. Faster AF and and more lens but otherwise, no
> major improvements on the sensor (either resolution nor capability).
> Similar pricing too. So talk about S2 dropping to $12K, or 50MP, or larger
> sensor were wishful thinking.
>
> Here's one place:
>
> http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/40445-leica-
> s-press-release.html
>

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I thought I'd read that a new S was out without a number after it but
>> can't
>> find it for nothin. Anyone have a URL mentioning it it would be
>> appreciated.
>> Hard to google Leica S NaN.
>>
>> Maybe advanced Leica S NO 2? I bet that would work!
>>
>> Mark William Rabiner
>> Photography
>>

>>> From: Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
>>> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:17:56 +1000
>>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [Leica] So, did the price of DMR's just plummet? If so, I
>> might
>>> be tempted to buy another one.
>>>
>>> Locally at least some dealers have been instructed to buy used R lenses
>>> again for the last few weeks. I think you missed the boat on cheap R
>> lenses
>>> some time back anyway (with the Canon option)
>>> Probably you wouldn't buy one just to use a couple of short R lenses,
>>> Vick???
>>>  But what about those folks with a cupboard full of the magnificent long
>>> APO Summicron Rs etc?'
>>> My initial impression is that M shooters with a lot of M lenses and still
>>> some of the top line R ones might find this attractive? I bet that Leica
>>>  sells all of the M's they can make but only a handful of the R stuff for
>>> them though.
>>> Starting from scratch it wouldn't make sense to buy into this system. The
>>> full frame Nikons (or Canon I guess?) with dedicated AF lenses make more
>>> sense for most folks... but then Leica enthusiasts aren't most folks ;-)
>>> Interesting that all but one R lens owner I know so far is not overly
>>> impressed.
>>>
>>> Back in 2009 when I was in Germany, Stefan Daniel said there would be no
>>> R10 or conventional dSLR from them but there would be a means to use R
>>> lenses, Still true.
>>>
>>> Anyone else notice the new S as well????
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Geoff