Subject: [Leica] Cog Rail to the Summit of Mt. Washington
From: scleroplex at gmail.com (scleroplex)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 06:45:56 -0400

absolutely!
that is why the strongest and earliest opponents of clear-cutting of
ancient growth forests were pilots on American Airlines and United.
they flew over the forests for years and were appalled at the destruction.
and so raised the alarm.
one of their photos was used on the cover of the 1st edition of Thomas
Pynchon's "Vineland".
thank you for writing in!
bharani

Message: 34 Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 23:59:02 -0400 From: "Leon Pomeroy "
Subject: [Leica] Cog Rail to the Summit of Mt. Washington To: Message-ID:
<000001cd8f08$9dfa7680$d9ef6380$@verizon.net> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii" Your Mt. Washington photo stirred memories and feelings.
My father climbed Mt. Washington on foot. I never did. But, as a boy with
camera, a new driver's license and a Jeep, I visited that mountain and rode
that cog rail to the top several times. Ditto my Amherst college days with
Smith and Mt. Holyoke dates. Never, on those trips some fifty years ago,
did I encounter the pollution revealed in your photo. The air was clear.
"Hearing" what's happening to our planet is believing; but "seeing" such
evidence is the naked truth. Many years later, calling Manhattan my home
for some 33 years, I had the experience of witnessing, from the elevated
Kosciuszko Bridge on the BQE, an ever creeping and expanding veil of
pollution over NYC. I suppose I comment because I was born and raised on
two Dairy Farms owned by my family for generations. I get emotional about
such things. Besides, I'm a nature mystic! Thanks for posting this photo.
Dr. Leon Pomeroy, Northern Virginia, USA., Re:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/scleroplex/L1770381+cogwheeling+down+mount+washington.jpg.html
:-) bharani