Subject: [Leica] Toning vs. paper and print color.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 16:08:48 -0400

I just got  one my first photography books back from Portland Storage last
week its a real thrill I think I got my MOJO back for sure now.
Its the Kodak Master Darkroom Dataguide $3.95 3rd edition first 1969
printing.
http://s.ecrater.com/stores/108769/4c8ac0f969c3e_108769n.jpg
In it under one tab its got paper samples.
I remember they started talking about print color and paper color in the
first one I got just like this in 1964.
I was as a 12 year old not happy to read this.
Isn't this black and white photography we are talking about?
Why do I have to know stuff about color if I'm doing black and white here in
my mothers laundry room? Well the paper samples in the book themselves show
some of the papers are yellowish and some are much more white and are rather
cool. The bromide papers.

My main point is this.
Toning does not add color to an otherwise black and white print.
It just alters it. In many cases of course the color result from toning
makes for an image with much more apparent color than one which is left
alone.
But for the most part toning is for making a print with a more refined and
better color than the paper image color.
And in the last decades of darkroom work in the last half of the century the
toner which dominated was selenium. For the most part it was Kodak Rapid
selenium toner which was used a one or two ounces to a quart for 3 or 4
minutes after two fixes and a hypo clear bath.
And although it improved print color by getting the green out and imparting
a  subtle purplish tone to prints, bromide or chloride its main reason for
being used was permances. And it strengthened your blacks.
A serious print collector or gallery would expect this. Prints without a
hint of green in it.  It was not optional.

My detractors on the list may say this is my quirky opinion and represents a
convoluted approach to darkroom work.  Its not. Its darkroom 101. Maybe 201.
And represented the way any serious printer in the past decades worked.
Not commercial work and PJ's of course who printed on RC paper.
But gallery stuff printed on fiber. And certain serious portrait work.

My first darkroom Dataguide I think was dated 1965.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Toning vs. paper and print color.)
Reply from roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark) ([Leica] Toning vs. paper and print color.)