Subject: [Leica] IMG: Eyes Wide Open
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:14:31 -0700

Indeed, but for some reason total sharpness, even with right-on focus, is
not available on this lens. Perhaps the .95 has it, but not this version
(4). And I think it is part of the charm of the images created with it. The
new 'lux ASPH will give you sharp with a bit larger DOF, but the butter is
not farm fresh... :-)

I could probably upgrade for about 3k, but I see no need to.

Anything further on the 'blad? I am trying to figure out how to get a wider
lens for tilt. Alpa offers a 50mm that will work on my current 34mm tilt
device, but they are coming out with a 32 and a 40 that will work on a new
and different 17mm tilt device. My calcs show that a 50mm with a 90mm image
circle, a 54x40 sensor in portrait mode shifting full left and right would
be the equivalent of a 42mm on a 6x6 format. The 40 would be the equivalent
of a 33mm in 6x6 and the 32 would be the equivalent of a 27!!!

The problem (other than the 32mm lens costing about 8.5k!) is I would need
the new 17mm Tilt rather than the 34 tilt I have which would work with the
new 50. My current widest lens available from Alpa for the 34mm Tilt that I
have is the 80... (about a 72mm in 6x6 with portrait orientation shifted).

I think I'll just end up with the new 50 that works with my current Tilt.
The 40 that I used on the 'blad was pretty darn good on the flex if I
recall... I can't even imagine a 27mm 6x6 equivalent!!

Bob