Subject: [Leica] Rabs bites Dog
From: gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:41:27 +0100

Mark

Good luck with you move back into square format. I feel sure you will feel
very happy once you have fine-tuned your working methods. Looking forward to
seeing some of the results.

Gerry

Gerry Walden
+44 (0)23 8046 3076 or
+44 (0)797 287 7932
www.gwpics.com

On 3 Aug 2012, at 11:38, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:

> Its not going to be in the area of philosophical speculation much longer. I
> know the photography I've done which normally results in portfolios of
> prints and I know what I'm planning on doing in the near future. I just
> acquired 100 sheets of 13x19 Hahnem?hle photo rag paper. Half of it 308 gsm
> the other half thinner.
> I'll be seeing what I'll be getting very soon.
> I'm guessing but I'll find out soon enough that the images I get from the
> flatbed scanned Hassy color negs will give my D700 images a run for its
> money. I think they'll be superior in a number of areas. If its not I'll do
> less of it. Or go to a smaller print size.
>
> Mark William Rabiner
> Photography
>

>> From: John McMaster <john at mcmaster.co.nz>
>> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 08:47:14 +0000
>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Rabs bites Dog
>>
>> OK, 13"x19" is not much of a magnification. If you have seen no better
>> then
>> what you have is good, on the other hand once you have seen what is
>> possible.... I know what I have seen;-)
>>
>> john
>>

>> A film scanner is certainly necessary for most 35mm scanning uses but
>> flatbeds have been often used the whole time for much more medium format
>> and
>> sheet film uses. One can consider a medium format scanner to be a bit of a
>> high end piece of equipment. Plenty of photographers I've known have got
>> by
>> without one over the digital first decade.. If it turns out I'm making
>> mural
>> sized prints or some other thing in which my results seem to be lacking
>> from
>> other stuff im seeing I'll look into medium format film scanners. In the
>> time being I've made hundreds of scans from my Hasselblads and Rolleiflex
>> negs and slides and made 13x19's from them from day one. And my first
>> scanner, a Umax had a fraction of the specs the one I'm using now has, an
>> Epson. Even the Umax I almost never used a full capacity or even close. It
>> had a SCSI interface!
>>
>> Mark William Rabiner
>> Photography
>>

>>> All that film quality but only a flatbed scanner? Using my Minolta film
>>> scanner the gradation was good but sharpness was nowhere close to my M9
>>> when
>>> scanned my 6x6 'blad negs in.....
>>>
>>> john

>>> part. I looked up the 120 and 220 offerings at B&H and its going to be no
>>> problem. Replacing my tuner at my right with my Epson flatbed. And I'm