Subject: [Leica] leica M9 diopters…..
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:19:43 +1000

Steve we once had a LUG member who was an opthamologist (I think). I'm not
sure if he's still on board. You can try an archive search for some of his
posts. I'll see if I can dig up the copies I made some time back.

The short answer is that it is best to try different diopter corrections
with your camera to see what suits you personally. An
Opthamologist/Optometrist or spectacles retail outlet should be able to
assist. You should be able to look through your camera with a range of
temporary lenses as used to determine spectacles prescriptions.

M camera viewfinders have Minus 0.5 diopter correction built in. This means
that the image seen appears to be two metres in front of the camera.
Dividing one metre by the diopter figure gives the focus distance (not the
magnification).

Leica Correction Lenses are available in half diopter increments in a range
for nearsighted to far sighted eyes

The best Leica Correction Lens for the individual is subject to several
factors
Your eye's accommodation, which is its ability to change focus from far to
near objects. Declines with age.
Astigmatism, which is a vision defect where light focuses on two different
points within your eye. The spherical Correction Lenses cannot correct for
this.

Are spectacles still to be worn with the Correction lens fitted?

Leica Camera also offer 1.25x and 1.4x Magnifier attachments which can have
Correction Lenses fitted on the rear surface. Anecdotally these appear to
also include some diopter correction. It would be best to test with the
Magnifier on and off the camera when trying different diopter corrections.

On the actual hardware, you probably know that the Leica ones are hard to
find and expensive. Not easy to find them in stock to try out before
purchase. There's a Japanese variable one (WalterX) which is even more
expensive and bigger too. It is meant to rotate to address astigmatism...
maybe. I 'm not aware of any other brands.

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman