Subject: [Leica] Salgado Again
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:34:57 +0100
References: <CAJ4y7gwxKWtrWMX6_Yok6vFueGJaWZm_7Q9xaWVf7Ue-0de=3g@mail.gmail.com> <2C87871E-FE6D-4888-B26D-45377F3D2BD8@usjet.net> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E97E71503C@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <983366094-1340710655-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1447959161-@b17.c16.bise6.blackberry> <CA+yJO1BVknghHLOS5bD2xSbqZTXJxnaeyfGOq046wtM3yByvLg@mail.gmail.com> <2071401122-1340712164-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-394722492-@b17.c16.bise6.blackberry>

Setting aside the issue of whether or not internet exposure = reproduction, I
have the feeling that book-wise and calendar-wise it will be a while before
SS
catches up with AA. I am always surprised how (relatively) little known
Salgado
is in comparison with AA, to the general public. Test: walk into your local
bookshop - assuming you still have one - just before Xmas and count the
number
of SS books, calendars, cards etc as opposed to the same for AA.

HOWEVER, be that as it may :-) as a relatively recent convert, his pictures,
particularly those of Ethiopia, blow me away. Last year the Financial Times
printed some of the other Ethiopian shots at A3 size (approx) and they were
amazing. In terms of landscape SS may well be an Adams for our day, but he
has a
sense of scale which is even grander than AA.

Personally I find that with the reproduction techniques that he is using at
present (this may be in part due to reproduction for/on screen) are very
harsh.
Almost like over-sharpening. While they work in the landscapes, for some
such as
the Yali man I find the effect too hard.

I will be at the NH in April.

Typed with my fingers on a real computer,

Peter