Subject: [Leica] Portraits of Awkward Adolescents Posing on Beaches
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:45:57 -0400

Well, yes and no. Not posing when one is aware that one is being
photographed just isn't possible since it's merely a special case of being
aware that you're being looked at. We all 'pose' in this respect. A second
issue is the necessity of providing grist for the textual side of current
gallery, publication and museum mill. Something, even if it isn't right on
the money, has to be said as a segue for viewers into the work. Finally,
there is some truth to her statement. When you tell teenagers not to pose
it become interpreted by them to mean" "Don't pretend to be an adult, and
don't act like a child," yet what teenager is totally comfortable with
himself as is, especially when that self is so transitory? This is the
awkwardness that she captures.