Subject: [Leica] IMG: Globetrotting cactus flower
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 20:00:24 -0500 (CDT)

Wayne,
Nicely done.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Torry" <wtorry at vbar.com>
To: lug at leica-users.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:34:11 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central

Greetings!

At least 10 years in the making. This cactus has been the most elusive plant
to capture when blooming.

>From the beginning...

A friend in Northern Virginia sent a small cutting of a cactus to Lisa in
New Orleans. Cynthia had gotten the cutting from her dry cleaner. Lagniappe
for favored customers. The cactus flourished for a few years in a pot on our
deck. Naturally it made the move to East Texas after Katrina. Since winters
are much colder here, we moved the cactus into the garage every year from
Thanksgiving to Easter. About 3-4 years ago, at age 10, the cactus started
blooming. Lisa would send phone photos to me in Houston. This year, thanks
to my recent medical sabbatical, I hapend to be present for the annual
blooming. The first two blooms got hammered by several heavy showers last
Friday night. The third waited until this morning to open. Dodging showers
this morning, I was finally able to create a photo that passed Lisa's
approval. I think it was worth the wait.

Nuts & Bolts: Canon 1D Mk III | Canon 28-80 Plastic Kit Lens | ISO 50 | 80mm
| f/11 | 0.6 sec. | Lightroom 3.4 | Square crop (Until I can get an
extension tube for Hasselblad).

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement along the way.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/Botanicals/Cactus+Flower-1.jpg.html

Thanks for looking! Cheers!

Wayne