Subject: [Leica] Final Sobol Photos with MM Part II the beginning
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 23:16:09 -0400

I'd bet those two Danish guys went to the same fine art photo Danish school
Fatamorgana:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatamorgana_(photo_school)

Here is Sobols Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Aue_Sobol

Sobol seemed and seems like a young twenties guy right out of school in love
for the first time. He lived with her for a long time before he ever took
one picture of her. She was 19 he was 23. The whole thing seems more than
Kosher to me I'm more prone toward calling it Great art and artists have
been photographing their girlfriends etc since the Flintstones.

I think he's shooting what's in front of him and what connects with him in a
very basic way which is no doubt what some teacher recommended him to do..
You can go crazy denying your conditioning and education and not doing
anything because its maybe been done before. Trust me. Its been done before.
By Aristotle and Euclid with a camera Obscura no doubt 2300 years ago. When
you even try to rip somebody else you can  count yourself lucky if you have
the talent to even pull it off. I even think its a good first approach for a
photographer or any artist.
Ironically what we first saw of him is him shooting digital for the very
first time and with a Leica for the first time. From what I heard he didn't
use in the past honking DSLR's but compact toy like film cameras. That's
just from what I was able to pick up.
I think when your overcome with unfamiliar tools like that its as hard to
rip people off as it is to be original. You just have to just shoot what's
in front of you and let the people later decide who they think you're
imitating.

I think Leica is in inspired and very good hands. Its all terribly exciting.
Especially in the context of the very few years ago when every single person
on this list excepting one or two were discussing Leica in the past tense.
As its now about to take over the photographic universe as we know it;
Soon it will be.... if your not using an S2 or M10 for that top magazine
story/catalog you're about to shoot you're just out of the loupe.
And in a couple of years the two tools of choice will be the S3 and the M11.
Nikon and Canon revert to making Digital Brownie Box cameras for the not so
bright set.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/