Subject: [Leica] Using M (and R) glass on a Sony NEX-7 - my experience after a few thousand images
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 17:25:11 -0700

Steve asked about using M-mount lenses on the NEX-7 so I thought I'd discuss
what I've learned from the trip to Alaska. I shot over 2,000 images with the
NEX-7, almost all of them with Leica or CV glass. There's a good reason for
this: the kit lens that comes with the camera is a very ordinary 18-55 zoom.
There's also a 55-200mm zoom that is, as my kids would say, an "epic fail."
Don't buy it. It's okay for video, maybe.

I learned on the trip that using M glass on the NEX-7 does work and does
produce darn nice images. BUT . . . and this is a major issue . . . focusing
becomes work.

The NEX-7 has (I believe) contrast auto-focus and focus confirmation (with
non-autofocus lenses.) With an adaptor it can handle the upscale Sony phase
detection autofocus from the alpha cameras. I gather that some of these
lenses are quite good but I don't have any and the added adaptor won't then
handle M lenses which, for me, is the whole point of the exercise.

I initially thought that I'd simply be able to snap on the Novaflex adaptor,
add the lens, and use the focus confirmation built into the NEX-7. It does
work - you get a colored outline around areas that the camera computes as
being in focus. It's possible to change the outline color to white or yellow
or red. I use red. But it's not very accurate.

But there's another workflow that works very well: It's possible to assign
the focus-assist function built into the camera to one of the camera's many
buttons. Pressing this will put a colored rectangle on the screen (or the
electronic viewfinder). Pressing another, user-definable, button will then
zoom in on the area of that rectangle to something over 1:1. If you press
that same button again you are zoomed in a little more. Pressing the shutter
button half-way then returns to the full view-finder mode. The focus
confirmation works inside the zoomed view.

So the process works like this: press the focus assist button then the zoom
button, focus, press the shutter button at least half-way and then all the
way to capture the image.

When working on a tripod, with the 100mm APO mounted, this works splendidly.
The focus rectangle can be moved around, then zoomed, focused, and shot,
without moving the camera. For still-life it's great.

For hand-held work with a wide-open lens, this process is awkward. I've
gotten reasonably adept at it, but there are still missed shots because of
the time taken to get the focus right.

With the kit lens the camera is a great travel camera within the constraints
of the lens. It does shoot really nice video. I'll have some examples of
that for you once it's all edited.

The 1.5x effective focal-length multiplier makes a 50mm into a 75. A 28 or
35 becomes a normal lens. I used the camera with the Leica 35mm summicron on
it most of the time, shifted to the CV 35mm f1.2 in really low light, and
used the 100 APO quite a bit as well.

But I also worked with two cameras around my neck - the other being the M8.
I can look through my slides in Lightroom and instantly know which are the
M8 images. It's really rather amazing.

But I can't mount a 280mm lens on the Leica. Or shoot video with it. So
these two cameras will probably live in tandem for some time. I don't see an
M9 or M10 in my future anytime soon: the house needs painting (M9) and there
is some dental work (replacing implants) to be done (a couple of M9's or
M10's).

Still, the NEX-7 produces very nice results once the learning curve is
mounted. Now if they just give me a way to turn OFF the blankety-blank video
button so I don't shoot 5 minutes of the camera hanging down I'll be happy.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans) ([Leica] Using M (and R) glass on a Sony NEX-7 - my experience aftera few thousand images)