Subject: [Leica] Endgadget on the MM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:58:50 -0400

I think HCB is reacting against photo editors and photographers themselves
who will pick a shot where  the subjects eyes are closed just because that's
the sharpest on on the strip.

A few of HCB' s iconic shots he missed his focus. This happened on occasion
to most of his peers in  Magnum and other top working photographers as well
as serious photo enthusiasts up to this day.
When the guy we are shooting is less sharp than his assistant standing right
next to him a step back from him then that's what is known as missing your
focas.
Its better to have the guy we are talking about in the caption being sharper
than people who the story is not really about.
You carefully go over your contacts even use a loup on the negs themselves
to avoid going with a shot in which you've missed your focus. Usually you've
covered the thing. You've got a lot of shots to chose from. And you avoid
using a missed focus shot.
But sometimes you have to go with the shot with the missed focus as that's
the key moment in the sequence and there's just no getting around it.
But it counts just how out of focus your subject is and how big the shots
going to be seen. And if the guy's eyes are closed  (he blinked) then no the
fact that is the sharpest shot has nothing to do with it. We hope.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/