Subject: [Leica] Another MM write-up
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 02:42:47 -0400

I think they may have absolutely NO idea what the market is for a thing such
as this. No clue if they'll be grabbed right up or if they will sit there on
the shelves and warehouses.
I think they will sell more if they can do a point of purchase thing where
there are a guy holding two black and white large prints side by side. One
from the regular M9 the other from the mono. Showing the amazing clarity and
detail the Mono has over the M9 with its Bayer screen defiling the image.
Close ups of small parts of an image side by side in jpeg form does not cut
it for me. I want to see full results. Close up. In hand.
I remember when Harold Cummer came up to me in Photokina with a large print
from a medium format camera. That sank the message home that for all the
money medium format digital photography is certainly worth it.
The same may be true with using a mono camera.
And if it is it needs to be shown and sold.
Sell the image, the print.
Not the camera.

It would be for me a nightmare if Leica turns the thing into a limited
edition collectors piece (1000 only) which by definition real image makers
could not afford.  Barnack would be turning in his grave were such a thing
take place. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and think that they'll
make them till the market runs dry naturally. Supply and demand. And not
jack up the price  with the false precious thing.
Myyy PRECIOUSSS!

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/