Subject: [Leica] The White Pass & Yukon Railway
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 18:35:44 -0700

Hi Luggers
The highlight of the cruise, for me, an long term lover of ancient trains,
was the ride out of Skagway on the 3 foot narrow gauge White Pass & Yukon
Railway.
Gene and Chris Duprey joined Esther and me so there are lots of shared
pictures of photographers in action.

For background on the WP&Y railway please consult:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Pass_and_Yukon_Route

Here's Esther and me in front of the WP&Y RR engine in traditional colours:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/WPYTrain/EcHcWP_amp_YRRw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/7roj2zl

Here is a 3 panel pano of the passenger cars - some of which are more than
100 years old.

I thought, given the ages of some of the cars, a B&W picture was the best
idea:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/WPYTrain/3panRRcarsbww.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/6m8ydzz

After we left the city limits of Skagway we were allowed out onto the car
platforms.

Here is Gene using his Leica for wide angles and the D700 for telephotos;

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/WPYTrain/GeneLeicaw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/7pmwad9

And here is the train crossing one of the trestles as we gain altitude.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/WPYTrain/TrainTress.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/87tw7bo

Please look large. A few more pictures will be added later.

C&C always welcome

Howard

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] The White Pass & Yukon Railway)