Subject: [Leica] Photosmith for iPad
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 18:09:38 -0400

<Leica RAW
At this time, we do not recommend using Photosmith (or the iPad) with Leica
DNG raw files unless you shoot RAW+JPG. Apple?s support for Leica?s DNG
format is very weak and in most cases will display only a 320?216 thumbnail
as it?s largest size. This is because the DNG format that Leica shoots
doesn?t contain as much information as other raw formats and in most cases,
not enough for the iPad to be able to generate a full screen preview. Since
Photosmith relies on Apple?s RAW handling, we are limited by Apple?s support.

However, if you shoot RAW+JPG then we combine both files together to extract
all the information we need to display a large preview (up to the max size
of the JPG you shoot). In all cases, even if you can?t see a large preview,
you can still rate, tag, keyword, etc. and when you sync with LR we?ll sync
all the files over including the DNGs.>