Subject: [Leica] working & earning & lifetsyle
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 13:09:35 -0700

As someone who grew up in the government projects in Hong Kong, then "made
it" and bought a house in Palo Alto, but now hit with the financial
fallout, plus having one kid in college and one kid entering college in a
year or so, I can fully understand Philip and Chris' plight. Did I work my
arse off to get to where I was? Yes. Do I see the same problems that they
allude to? Yes.

What I see is a system increasingly deck against the Little Guys, but my
rant is only suitable for the Forum. Yes, the opportunities are still out
there - for my children's sake, I sure hope that it is true. But one should
not think that the situation is the same as even 5 years ago. Times have
changed. A nothing 3 bedroom house in Vancouver can fetch over 1.3 million
dollars, mostly because of all the rich money from China. How would you
like to be growing up in Vancouver and then knowing that there is no way
you can stay there? Same thing is happening in the Silicon Valley (and have
been happening since I moved here ~20 years ago). We are seeing a Teutonic
shift, just that it's not affecting people in "other countries," but right
here in USA, and not limited to a particular race or geographic regions.

--

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] working & earning & lifetsyle)
Message from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] working & earning & lifetsyle)