Subject: [Leica] M9 Monochrome Filters
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:17:48 +1000

The M mount patent is expired of course. If another company has the
resources, expertise and will to design one and thinks that they can bring
it to market and make a profit there's nothing to stop them. Since this is
a (b&w) niche in a  (digital full frame rangefinder) niche I wouldn't bet
my house on it ;-)

I don't think though that the prospect of maybe having to buy a few
standard filters in 39mm or 46mm if they aren't already in their cupbpoard
is going to deter anyone willing to get the M Monochrom though!

Apparently the sensor performance is nearly panchromatic and the (same as
M9) IR filter in the cover assists there. That inevitably filters some
visible red also. Since there's no need for the coloured sensor filters you
get back to what was actually the original native ISO of the M9 filter too
(320ISO). That immediately helps with noise as well  and you don't need to
amplify the less sensitive and noisier blue channel signal. 10000 ISO
Tri-X and actual pixel for pixel resolution with no de-mosaicing. you can
see why dedicated BW shooters are enthusiastic at the prospect.

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman