Subject: [Leica] working & earning & lifetsyle
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 15:05:56 -0400

Federal minimum wage in ~1970 was $1.60/hr. That is worth about
$9.50/hr in today's market. Minimum wage today is $7.25/hr. Meanwhile,
the economy has gotten worse along with the job market and the general
state of opportunity in the US. Figuring in an average wage and income
tax here in Philly that is $812/month. Renting a room runs >$400 then
add in utilities, food, phone, transit and you're already way over
budget.

The only people here in Philly I know who are making minimum wage work
also live in collective houses and scam the public assistance funds for
food stamps. Even the food assistance program here in Philly is way
underfunded. One of the Inquirer journalists recently tried to live off
$5/day (the current SNAP rate) and found it was nearly impossible for a
single person to do so. If a person does succeed in feeding themselves
on PA SNAP, they will be malnourished because the assistance simply
does not provide enough money for a balanced diet.

Phil Forrest