Subject: [Leica] Tripods
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:03:37 -0400

The last tripod I got was my first Resin Gitzo which I got here in person in
NY a couple of years ago. Despite the weight it inspires confidence.
Not having to handle cold hard metal is a bigger boom than you'd think.

But there is nothing like a huge heavy tripod under your 35mm camera when
you're working fast. You don't feel like anytime you do something to the
camera you have to wait several seconds before you hit the cable release to
let the thing calm down. And you also feel like you can just release the
shutter release without the cable release.
My biggest metal Gitzo has been in storage and I may get it next May when I

By the way anybody doing commercial photography for 30 years is going to
have a nice assortment of tripods to choose from. Some go unused for many
years. Only to have a resurgence in your work again.

With my first business loan when I got my Balcars and Hasselblads I got my
first Gitzo tripod a Reporter with a crank. I got messed up when I was
coming down from Pittock mansion on a shoot one Halloween night and I slid
out on my Vespa on some wet leaves.
I had it rebuilt by Gitzo a few years ago.
Cost me more than a hundred dollars. And no crank. (Cremaillere)
Its a middle of the road general purpose best selling Gitzo of that era.
I found it very handing so have something lighter on occasion and heavier of
course for large format sheet film.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/