Subject: [Leica] IMG: Second Atlanta International Pop Festival
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:30:39 +0100 (BST)

In the summer of 1970 I was in Milwaukee. I got a summer job with the Falk
Gear Corp for 8 weeks.
It was the first time I had been outside the UK, my dad wouldn't travel
abroad "had enough of foreigners during the war" so it was a bit different
to what I was used to.
I arrived on July 3rd, connecting transport from the cheap student flight
(Prestwick, Scotland to Buffalo, NY) to Milwaukee was not so easy... In the
end I got a flight to Chicago and a bus north. I sat next to a GI returning
home on leave from Vietnam. He invited me to the July 4th celebrations with
his family. My first experience, but not last, of the wonderful USian
hospitality.
I stayed at the YMCA, not knowing that in the US it is a gay center which it
isn't in the UK. I learned fast.
I had almost run out of money by the time I had made my way there and paid a
depisit at the Y so I lived on 30c hamburgers until my first pay.
Was too hot all summer!
I was referred to as "that english hippy" at work, since I didn't have a
crew-cut.
Wow 42 years ago now!
Memories.
Frank D.