Subject: [Leica] Titanic and Kennedy
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:34:04 -0700

Geoff Hopkinson OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Titanic and Kennedy

> When the news of the Titanic sinking arrived, Ted had already finished his
> photo lecture cruise duties and had rowed ahead to New York for his next
> assignment where was supposed to cover the ship's arrival!<<<<

Hi Geoff old buddy a little easy on the old guy by numbers with the Titanic!
:-)

Hey com'on maybe I'm getting old but not quite that in numbers!!!!!!
HOWEVER?  There are days when I bet old Methuselah and myself are in a tie
body feeling manner! :-)

How about this for a Kennedy story?

Irene and I arrive at the Ottawa airport as she is flying to Toronto. And
mingling in the stand around people is a Cabinet Minister of the Government
of the day and a couple of his assistants.
All of a sudden word began to spread like wild fire through the airport
about the assassination.

Now remember there were no mobile phones or dinky phones in those days and
most people if requiring a phone put a quarter in the slot and made the
call.  Obviously the Cabinet Minister required making an urgent call to
Parliament and his main office and that of the Prime Minister.

Neither he nor any of his staff had a quarter for a phone call.

So there I am to the rescue and offered... "Mr. Martin here's a quarter!"
Handed it to him. He said thank you and made his phone call. That's how I
remember the Kennedy assassination! And no I never got my quarter back! Such
is life as I remember of such a disasterous day even for Canadians!

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Titanic and Kennedy)
Message from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] Titanic and Kennedy)