Subject: [Leica] Benches
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 22:09:58 -0700

What can we say about Bob Adler and his seaside images, benches or none ?
Amazing! OK pretty damn good!;-)

Overall there are some very fine photographers in this group. Some fall into
a particular style, topic and or scenic's of all kinds. You name it and we
have them in varying degrees of experience. Wonderful shooters all!

Without question Bob Alder is the "ROCK STAR OF BENCHES!" :-) This isn't
putting him up on a pedestal, or anything like that simply because he is an
absolute fine photographer with a God Given gift to capture a particular
subject, many of us quite simply may not have! Or do not have the same
sightline!

By the same token you might take Bob and drop him in the middle of a battle
scene and he'd pee his pants! ;-) While another wouldn't flinch and carry on
like it were a Sunday afternoon romp in the park. Assessing and critiquing
isn't the easiest thing in the world. Simple in many cases, "If you haven't
been there? You have no idea what it's all about therefore sit quietly!" Or
make it known exactly what the critique is with a few words of direction
good, bad or ugly."

Honestly doing a critique isn't the easiest thing in the world for anybody,
6 years or 60 years experience. Simply because we all see the world in
varying degrees of design and beauty! ERGO!  What one see's as beautiful?
Another see's as crap! "Been there done it a dozen times, ho hum!" Then
right's off the image as a bit of junk without any consideration of the many
things influencing our vision or experience."

Quite frankly I don't mince my words in critique particularly when I see
another quote, with nothing more than "nice picture!" And you look at it and
wonder "Am I looking at the same photograph?"

The absolute most important thing in a critique is............. "DON'T LIE
ABOUT IT!"  If it turns you on? Then say why you feel it is worthy of a nice
positive comment and point out the reason features! By the same Token ? If
it's really a crappy exposure? Be sure you know and say why!"

Telling someone it's a "nice photo when it really isn't" doesn't do the
shooter any favour at all! So if he or she pee's their verbal
pants........... that's their problem! By the same token be prepared to
re-butt your reason when challenged!

OK that's the lesson for this evening. :-) Oh yeah sometime's a very deep
bunker with armour plaited walls is helpful in your survival! ;-)

Thank you all,
good night!

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)