Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ancient portraits of Christ
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 15:00:48 -0600

Adam,

Maybe this is somewhere close to an answer to your questions.

<http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v13n10a13.html> provides some background on
the
earlier of the two coins.  That article in turn links to one acquired by
Princeton University by the numismatic curator, Alan Stahl.

For me photography enables seeing. Probably to old LUG hands that is quite
obvious, I don't know. Technically <http://photos.csd.net/justinian_ii.html>
turned out to be pretty easy to photograph as the surface is not highly
reflective.  Using a beam splitter is common for coins.  Having a permanent
photo workshop is essential, to set up and adjust everything from scratch is
daunting.

<http://photos.csd.net/justinian_ii_2a.html> is highly reflective and
required
numerous attempts at getting the image, at this point it is at the stage of
somewhat uneasy truce, perhaps 12-20 hours overall, spread out over a recent
week or so.

Yes, interesting artwork produced at a tumultuous time in history.

Best,

John