Subject: [Leica] LUG 20th anniversary
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:01:57 -0700

Spencer Cheng writes:

 > On Mar 26, 2012, at 16:57, Brian Reid wrote:
 > >
 > > As far as I'm concerned, the digest form doesn't work.
 > >
 > > In my opinion, the best way to deal with the LUG is to use a mail
 > > program that knows how to do threading. Gmail does it really
 > > well; so do Mac Mail, Thunderbird, and probably others.
 >
 > A long time ago when the Internet was slow (can you spell UUCP?),
 > there were mail programs that could 'undigestify' mail digests and
 > it sort of made sense to have mail digests. Now days, every
 > respectable email program can handle threading and filtering so
 > there is no reason I can think of for digest modes.
 > [...]

Definitely 'Thank you!' to Brian.  And thanks for keeping the digests
coming.

I get LUG digests a couple of times a day and in fact I route all of
my other mailing list mail through my own copy of mailman and it sends
them to me in digests periodically.

I find that having it appear in lump form at relatively predictable
times keeps me from being distracted by it as it dribbles in.

I still use one of those olden day mail programs, it bursts the
digests into individual messages and threads them into nice
conversations.  Since they all arrive in a lump I can skim quickly
through entire conversations.

The only downside is that I'm unlikely to be the first responder to
any particular query but that's rarely been a problem.

I could redo all of this (and I've helped others do so) using rules
that would route distraction-class mail into other folders and use a
more modern mail app, but I'm really quick with my current tools so
for now I just keep keeping on.

g.