Subject: [Leica] NEX-7 vs. M9 comparison
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:04:45 -0400

I got an NEX-7 a few days ago (at, of all places, Ritz Camera in Orlando!
Same price as Sony, B&H, and Amazon, none of whom had it in stock or in
sight) and wanted to do a comparison. The camera's a little jewel, and the
2.4 Mpix OLED TTL in-body finder, which is one of the reasons why I chose
this camera, is great. The hinged LCD view screen gives a beautiful picture
too.

I took pictures of the same scene with both cameras for comparison, and
curious to know how they perform at the limits of enlargement, cropped each
down to the central ? or so of the frame. The NEX-7's kit lens was at 55mm
(82.5mm equiv) and the M9 wore the 90mm asph Summicron. I created a
side-by-side montage and posted it for the curious:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/desktop_001/NEX7-M9+comp.jpg.html

I was surprised by the results, as I imagine we all will be. I'll reveal
which frame came from which camera in a couple of days (or email me off list
if you can't wait).

I also posted a target-of-opportunity snap I took with the NEX-7 earlier
while standing in the cold back in Ohio waiting for my son to complete his
bicycle race. Not immortal landscape photography, but interesting
transitions in brightness of the blossoms and the sky, their gradients
moving in opposite directions, with a resultant swap in their contrast.

?howard

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] NEX-7 vs. M9 comparison)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] NEX-7 vs. M9 comparison)
Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] NEX-7 vs. M9 comparison)