Subject: [Leica] What would you take to Peru?
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:43:45 -0400

Since this is sometimes a place for abstraction, I'll pose a hypothetical.

Assume that you are a male in good physical conditioning.  If you are going
traipsing around in the mountains and among ruins in Peru, what would you
take?  I'm headed out next week.  Usually, no matter where I go, I take a
Fuji GA645, 20 rolls of 120 film (for b/w), and some small camera for color.
 Sometimes a 6x9 Fuji instead of the "little" Fuji.  I've been pretty good
at making it work, as Tim Gunn would say.

Aside from Macchu Picchu, I think I can improvise with about anything.  But
up on the mountain (a place where I probably will never return), what are
the conditions like? Any weird-color light that screws with exposure meters
(like in the desert)?  Any particular filtration?  Were I to deviate from my
normal packing, there would be a lot of choices (these are the *realistic*
ones...)

Fuji GA645 (=35mm)
- small, light, flawless

Fuji GL690 (with 50, 100 and/or 180mm lenses)
- heavy as hell, but the 50mm has eye-burning resolution
- wants a separate meter
- would require 40 rolls of film

X100 (=35mm)
- very lightweight, some ability to use grad NDs

D700 (I can cover anything from 17 to 300mm)
- heavy, fast, able to shoot in any light.  Great for ND grads

Leica M8 (21 to 90mm)
- Not bad for all purposes, but a little heavy

Nex-5 (16mm or 18-55 lenses).
- kills the X100 in shooting speed. Not bad at taking pictures, either.
Excels at HD video.
- somewhere, in a drawer, I have the superwide lens adapter

Neither film nor batteries nor supplies are really an issue. If I took a
GL690, I would grab a cheaper 50mm (=21mm) finder than my Universal
Wideangle Finder M, but other than that, this will be off the shelf.  I
would not take two heavy cameras, but aside from that, the sky is the limit.
As I would imagine at 10,000 feet.

Ideas?  I usually go on gut instinct the day before, but I do like to hear
different perspectives.

Thanks
Dante

Dante Stella