Subject: [Leica] Magnum & the Dying Art of Darkroom Printing
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:28:50 -0500

I printed mostly for my clients. Hundreds of them.
I very seldom printed for "myself" other then maintaining my own portfolio.
I'm sure for every 100o prints I made at least one was for "myself"
Between 1974 and 2009 I had about 20 print showings. One gallery show was
all 20 x 24 inch prints. One was 5x7's. Most were 16x20 fiber prints.
For a while a while back my prints we being sold for $350 each by a gallery
in Ohio called Photo Central that some Portland friend of mine sold to them
or he had them sell them.
My prints have sold to private collectors. Sometimes not directly from me.
I've sometimes personally printed my events and weddings.
Point of purchase displays. Some were 30 x 40 inch color.
I printed my pictures for three columns I shot and wrote for papers in
Portland those were 4x5's or 5x7's. Meeting deadlines every week.
I've printed in bulk promo prints for musicians actors and dancers who want
a hundred copies of something. Head shots usually. More so when I was first
starting out.
One of my very first fashion jobs for a department store, Meier and Frank in
Portland I had to print 16x20's of the main shot of the model. The print
dried as I ran down the street with it to meet my deadline 7 blocks from my
photo studio in downtown Portland Oregon.
I printed 3 20x24's for a theater set and hand colored them.
I printed a dozen or so murals for the Oregon bank in Eugene 4 by 5 feet on
roll paper rolling them though my hand and knees in my parents garage. That
was my first job in Portland. I was for McCann Erickson advertizing. They
were trying to get the account for this new shoe company people were  just
starting to hear about. It was called Nike.

I do believe this image of the print with all the myriad instructions all
over it numbers and lines was picked out like the Avedon shot has been for
its value as an anomaly. It has little value in the real world. It was a
moment of odd obsessivness by the photographer. Probably laughed about at
the time.

My black and white printing I did in my darkroom I built myself at my
various studios. But sometimes I'd print at a rental lab in Portland. And
that was where I'd for sure print my color neg or direct form transpancy
prints such as Cibachrome or a Fuji process.
While making those I printed shoulder to shoulder with countless other pros
and their assistants. Over three decades. Thousands of people.
So while many printers may have an isolated view  of how things get done in
their darkroom namely their own I did not. I was subjected weekly to how a
whole ton of people got their printing done.  And was given advice while I
printed from the experts at the lab whose job it was to do that.
I came into working their after a decade of printing by myself mainly but I
certainly learned a lot be being in an open environment.

Never in my three decade experience printing by myself, at school at the
custom lab I worked at in Webster Groves, Mo or at the rental lab in
Portland Oregon did I see anything which came even close as to being as
obsessively ridiculous as that sketch. I don't know what making a sketch
like that is an exercise in other than mental masturbation. A joke. Or to
impress some idiot.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/