Subject: [Leica] Magnum & the Dying Art of Darkroom Printing
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 00:06:33 -0500

I cant figure out if this is an example of a kind of obsesive compulsive
psychosis or an attempt at humor. There is also a famous one of a head from
Avedon. An image marked up way past any reason or comprehension.
I'll tell you what I think it is its drugs in the 80's.
But it might be Public relations. Your clients are supposed to think that
even though you  yourself are not making the prints the relation between you
and your assistant or printer is so involved that its worth all the
ridiculous money they are paying you for the job and or print.

In reality when you go through sheets and sheets of paper in the darkroom
its a rather organic process of trial and error. And you cant be reminded of
it from a mark up or controlled by someone giving you a marked up thing like
that. The printer has to sweat it out themselves. Adams called it a
performance of a score. But your head is not buried in the score. You have
to look up from time to time and cue your orchestra.
--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/