Subject: [Leica] Leap Night II
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 23:56:50 -0500

Elbow's braced on stone fence.
1/15 s at f/1.4 with the 28mm 1.4 lens. @ iso 6400
To the naked eye only 20 percent of this was visible.
80 percent of it presented itself to me for the first time when I saw the
back of the monitor on the camera. A D700. Only slightly more when I saw it
on the big screen here in Bridge and Photoshop. A whole lot of information,
unexpected. Color wise none of that was there. The scene appeared near
monochromatic. I'm getting color casts from various near invisible ambient
sky light pollution. Perhaps some from Reciprocity failure but I don't know.

I decided this was a gold mine and to go about to lap the entire Central
park most of it with a similar stone fence of the same height around it. I
was going to get a very small tripod to put on top of it; though bigger than
what's normally called a tabletop tripod I thought.
But today I've been thinking about running over to B&H and just trying out a
Beanbag. They can be quite light I think.
Maybe I can use it for a pillow on the subway.
It could be the right tool for the right job or visa versa.

But with the beanbag I'm going to not shoot at iso 6400 but 500.
And shoot at f8. And use quite prolonged shutter speeds. With lens delay or
I'd have to get a cable release.
I just may have hit it.

--
Mark R.