Subject: [Leica] I-whatever and Kindle vs Dell
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 07:23:44 -0800

I have had about a dozen Dell computers, all running Windoze.  They all ran
for at least 4 years without incident.  No hardware failures.  They were all
bought as refurbished.  They were replaced because they finally were too old
technology to accept new OS  or new HW that I needed to implement.

I have had 2 monitors for my computer in the past 20 years.  The last
replacement was a CRT.  It was replaced because I wanted more room on my
desktop, not because it was not working.  Current monitor is a Samsung 204B.
Old technology when I bought it about 5 years ago.  Still works just fine.

These were top quality manufacturers, selling top quality models.  ( the
operative word is quality, not cost nor functionality)

Only recently did my wife want other than a Toshiba Laptop computer ( we had
4 or 5 over the years).  All lasted about 6-18 months before they were
having problems. Batteries reoutiney needed replacement in about 5 months.
Replaced 4 HDD.   No more Laptops, no more Toshiba here.

I bought an IPad for my wife just before Christmas 2011.  It is
intermittently dead.  After 4 trips to the genius bar, she is about to
return it for a refurbished and presumably working model.  It operated
properly for 3 months.  She has to call Apple, arrange an empty box, return
it, wait a week or so, then get a replacement.  The Genius Bar does nothing
to help with the replacement, even after 4 useless visits there.   It was
bought new from Apple directly.   Any talk about getting a Mac was
completely crushed by her experience with the IPad.   I consider the
customer service level to be zero on this transaction.

She has a friend that bought her IPad about a month ago and has had the same
problem.  Same result.. 4 trips.. no luck.. Go get it replaced on your own.

She bought a Kindle for herself, apparently more than a year ago.   Dead
battery this past week.  Out of warranty.  We faced with a battery
replacement by Amazon for $59, a DIY battery replacement for $30 (third
party), of buy a new one for a whole lot more.

I am unimpressed with the quality of these products.  I consider them like
appliances, they should last a good long time before requiring service.

Yes, I was in the Electronics business.. I understand the issues with infant
mortality, battery life expectancy, and repair centers.

Frank Filippone

Red735i at earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce) ([Leica] I-whatever and Kindle vs Dell)
Reply from billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce) ([Leica] I-whatever and Kindle vs Dell)