Subject: [Leica] IMG: Wide-Gear Monocoupe
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:43:42 -0600

Continuing to look through old files, I found this photo of a unique
airplane.  This Monocoupe has the wider main gear of the late models, and
the cowling has been removed to permit the installation of a larger engine.
On this day in 1952, I took my newly-acquired Leica to the South Dayton
Airport for my first and only glider flight.  This airplane impressed me,
and I made several images of it.  A few years ago, I located the present
owner, who has the parts of the airplane and is preparing to rebuild it.  I
furnished him prints, so that he could see the original paint scheme.

Focal plane shutters do strange things with rotating or moving subjects, as
will be noted in the recorded image of the moving propeller.

If I recall correctly, the mansion on the hill, seen beneath the right wing,
belonged to Charles "Boss" Kettering, of General Motors fame.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Wide-Gear+Monocoupe+Dayton+OH+01+1952+edit.jpg.html

Leica IIIa with Coated Elmar 50/3.5

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols