Subject: [Leica] thoughts ?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:49:48 -0600

On Feb 13, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Steve Barbour wrote:

> first this
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2012/struggling.jpg.html
>
> now this
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2012/color.jpg.html
>
> I do ask please your input as to which of the two you find most effective,
> which you prefer (that may be different) and why that is ?

Every photographer needs to (at least occasionally) ask,
"What am I trying to say with this photograph?"

most effective?
to communicate what point (or points)?

For me:

Color photographs (when well done with decent equipment) appear "hyper real"
to my eye.
Reality amplified and further enhanced by freezing a moment for detailed
study of COLOR, line, form and content.
More real than reality.

Black and white photographs (when well done with decent equipment) "suggest
reality" to my eye.
Reality subdued yet also enhanced by freezing a moment for detailed study of
texture, line, form and content.
More metaphoric than reality.

Between these two (for the purpose of this discussion) extremes
we could easily examine the effect of muting, in steps, the colors to soften
a "harsh" reality.

Yet we're still left with the question,
"What does the photographer wish to communicate?"
A harshly real environmental, candid portrait?
A metaphorically real environmental, candid portrait?
Or something in between?

A final decision, for me would depend on the "use" context.
We're looking at these two photographic possibilities out of context on our
computer screens.
We're looking at them surrounded by emails, our other work, within our homes
or offices.
Some of us, like Sonny, see them within a context "very close to home" -
living with a similar actual reality.
Others of us see them in the context of memories of friends or love ones
who've moved on.
"Choosing" one or the other (or an unseen in between version) would, for me,
require knowledge of the book or article which may surround them.
Each treatment provokes a different reaction.
Each viewer will have a different reaction to each treatment.

One thing's for sure.
With each passing year we're all headed toward "this state of being" one way
or another.
I see no lack of dignity in either version.
We all eat; and need cleaning up.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com