Subject: [Leica] Why we all should buy an Alpa :-)
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:00:02 -0800

I'm not a tripod person except sometimes when I am shooting landscapes.
However, I do agree with Mark somewhat that use of a tripod can in fact
give a photographer more freedom - more freedom to really look at a scene,
or how best to frame, compose and shoot. Rather than snap, snap, lets go to
another iconic spot. In some sense, it's like painting. You don't see a
painter go to a spot, do a 15 sec quick sketch and move on. Quick sketch
for them is at least 10 mins :-)

The traditional landscapes nowadays really require MF digital back ala Alpa
to get the resolution and details people are expecting (OTOH, on a contrary
view, see
<
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/01/raised-expectations.html>).
Unless you are Paul Roark, then you hand hold the M9 and do pano stitching
and focus stacking. I am thinking of getting a Gigapan for that purpose :-)
There's no way my puny little XPan or "full frame" M9 can compete :-):

--

Message from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Why we all should buy an Alpa :-))