Subject: [Leica] My first self-developed roll in 9 years
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:39:37 +1030

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
wrote:
> I don't give a s**t about what some metal fetishists think. I will use the
> tool that works for me, images are what matters.

I agree.  I have worked in several pro labs that hand-developed film.
Usually labs standardise on one or the other reel and tank type, but I
have seen both types used extensively.  In every pro lab that uses
plastic as standard, there was a set of metal reels and tanks that one
or some staff would use, and in every lab that standardised on metal
there were plastic tanks and reels for the same purpose.  I always
asked why this person/s did it differently and they always answered
with some version of "I prefer these tanks and reels".  In hard use,
in the plastic system, the tanks usually give way first, usually where
they get bumped to dislodge bubbles.  In the metal, it's the plastic
or rubber lids, which fail where they get slightly bent to take them
off the tanks.  In both systems, the reels are almost immortal unless
they are damaged.  Both kinds of reels need frequent, careful
cleaning.  Good labs have an industrial dishwasher for this and give
the reels a post-washing rinse in distilled water.  In the right
hands, there is no difference in results.

I think I am the only person who has ever developed black-and-white
film who can use metal or plastic reels equally and has no particular
preference*.  I do like that Paterson tanks use slightly more
solution/roll than most other systems, but this applies equally to
metal and other plastic tanks+reels.

Marty

*Exaggeration, for effect.

Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] My first self-developed roll in 9 years)