Subject: [Leica] My artist's statement
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 20:43:44 -0600

On Jan 3, 2012, at 8:00 PM, Chris Crawford <chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com>
wrote:

> Ken, the term Fine Art has been used since the 1700s to distinguish art
> done for personal expression from commercial art. I'm not sure why so many
> photographers have such a problem with it. Its just a name. Complaining
> about it or trying to deconstruct it is not going to make it go away,
> there's too much history and tradition behind it.

agreed

Though still a tad odd
as used with photography;
since we do not use that reference
as a tag to painting, sculpture, drawing, etc.;
which we generally assume to be "fine art;"
and we differentiate that which is "not"
with terms like commercial, illustrative, or functional;
rather than the other way around.

Obviously the lines separating these terms blur, move and/or overlap
depending on the audience, artist and/or critic.

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] My artist's statement)