Subject: [Leica] Looking at buying an M8
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:44:22 -0500

> Sorry, I am not going to spring for an M9: too many $$$. However, my local
> store is stuck with a couple of NOS M8s and the price keeps dropping.
> AFAIK they would be relatively early production. I don't care, much, about
> the smaller sensor size or the IR issue. Near as I can see Leica is still
> offering the upgrade program so there still must be parts availability.
>
> Good idea? Bad idea? Kinder on my nerves and less of a shock just to flush
> the funds down the loo?
>
> Down to my last 8 rolls of Fujichrome and tired of digital almosts,
>
> John

Well I have 2 M8's and both take wonderful images. Like all products
"Leica" they have quirks, the big one here is the IR sensitivity. The mag
factor is not a big issue, and I admit to using it in preference to my M9
when really I don't need to have such a huge file: the computer deals much
faster with the smaller file, and the quality is still fantastic.

If you have to have 'equivalent' wide angles lenes then the cost of IR
filters and the new wider lenses would make the M9 Perhaps a 'cheaper'
choice, but the M8 at under 3k seems a pretty good 'bet'.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Alastair