Subject: [Leica] LONG lenses + M9 or M8
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 20:11:29 -0800

I happened to notice this quote on a couple of posts?

> a super rigid tripod is an exercise in futility, IME.. > <<<

Whomever? Or How many?

While shooting the Olympics, Summer and Winter since 1968 until 1972 along
with a bunch of other international events hand holding long glass was a
must whether you liked it or not! Or one learned how or use a monopod! WHY?
OR YOU WEREN'T ASSIGNED TO GO!

Tripods take up too much room in the tightly enclosed photo positions so
learn how to shoot without or you didn't get in!  Quite simple really. I
shot with the Leica R 280 2.8  and or with either of the extenders 1.4 or 2X
, a shoulder brace, pistol grip and motor drive! That allowed me to fire the
camera with merely the twitch of my right trigger fineger no different than
firing an UZI machine gun.

The 1.4 extender made the 280 lens a 400mm f 4.0, the 2X made it a 560mm f
5.6 and if you wanted to be real cool put both of them on, 1.4 first,
backed-up with the 2X and you had an 800mm f8.00 hand held that cut film
like a razor blade! Hand held and shoulder brace. Or a monopod which I hated
with a vengance as the damn thing never gave you the mobility to move
quickly with the athletes.... or a few times with car racing.

Quite frankly all this comes through experinece when given no other choice!
You learn to do it and get over it!

Unfortunately after my illfated parachute jump on my 65th birthday! :-) Damn
that was great! :-) Loved it solo! But the land and roll? Well we wont go
into that, lets just say it ended my hand holding any long lenses and it
became monopod all the time! :-) What the hell that's life, don't whine, get
over it and carry on shooting! :-)

If I can find some samples during the next couple of days I'll get them up.

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Message from alal at poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] LONG lenses + M9 or M8)