Subject: [Leica] Daguerreotype Details
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 19:02:23 +1030

At a fine enough scale the Daguerrotype medium still has an innate
grain structure - the process works by light activation of silver
iodide, after all, and the image doesn't just mysteriously appear out
of nowhere.  There is also a serious catch in terms of what you can
photograph - the fastest speed you can coax out of a Daguerrotype
plate is less than that of printing paper - let's say maybe ISO 0.1 in
terms of modern film ISO ratings.  That alone introduces other
limitations.  But a silver iodide modern film of the same size would
have about the same resolution, if you could keep it in place for the
long exposure times.

Marty