Subject: [Leica] Program to erase a HDD
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 08:25:35 -0700

Frank,

It's pretty time-consuming to erase a disk with a program and most
likely incomplete.

There are services which shred disks, then send the remains to a smelter
who recovers the various metals, gold, silver, aluminum, and iron were
mentioned when I asked. The cost, in Colorado at least, is $4.25 each.
I used one of these firms for a run of 100 disks and we never took our
eyes off them as they were logged in by bar-coded serial number then
shredded in another room.  We were shown the bits as they were dumped
into a bin.

For a disk or two, a mechanic's drill press will do a pretty good job,
however, one whiffs some pretty unpleasant stuff.  If the holes are big
enough, one can see when he has penetrated the platters.

I've tried a 20lb sledge which is hard on the human chassis, disks are
surprisingly tough, the sledge would even drive them into asphalt. I
didn't try it on concrete, but imagine flying hard and sharp objects.

Thermite would be fun and the most destructive of the data.  If one has
environmental worries, not a great choice.

Shooting was mentioned. The local firing range or especially National
Forest would be nice.  A group of friends, cases of beer, several crates
of disks, bevy of assault rifles, what could possibly go wrong?

John