Subject: [Leica] FYI: Fresh 5222 avail direct from Kodak
From: kingfisher at halcyon.com (Larry Bullis)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:23:27 -0800

Don Cardwell, Lee Lumkin, Thomas Bertilsson and myself did a continuing
study on Edwal 12 a while back. XX was a film that I took on as my
personal project. I sort of dropped it because the sole supplier "film
emporium" couldn't seem to get it any more. Kodak supplying it in bulk?
Very hard to imagine.

So I have pretty good data with this obscure, obsolete (!) chemistry
with a pretty obscure, BUT entirely appropriate chemistry. Everyone has
forgotten about this. I can tell you that it is amazing. But I can't
show you much. Why? because IF words and images can say the same thing,
one of them is lying. I do not maintain an online presence, but if you
wish, I will attempt to put something up you might relate to.

If anyone is really serious about pursuing this (and, I REALLY mean
REALLY, I'm not interested in casual unless there's enough serious
interest to support it) I would be interested in either creating a new
group to study it, or, maybe more likely to bring additional research
into the existing group. I can't speak for my dearly beloved fellows,
but I can't imagine them not rising to the concept, even though they may
stop short of the densitometer. Don't worry, though. I have one or two
of those awful arcane things, too.

I do think though that this film with this particular amazingly
appropriate chemistry is something that surpasses any particular
existing loyalties - especially given the way things are going right
now. I think that if we have interest in stuff like this, the time is
RIGHT NOW to express that interest and create whatever body of research
we possibly can. Otherwise it will go the way of that other XX - the
super one, that I miss so desperately. It is time for us to speak up and
demand that film persists. It is stupid to abandon a peak technology for
something that can't replace it but could provide yet another viable
medium. Photography as we knew it is like engraving was in 1860 right
now. Looked at a dollar bill lately?

I don't think that you're going to find a better place to start. The
film is wonderful. Do you like the 1960's aesthetic, as I do? The
research team already at hand for the developer is a great place to
start. At least, I'm ready to go.

The film is one that we've all seen in the movies - but we're sure not
seeing it any more.

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] FYI: Fresh 5222 avail direct from Kodak)
Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] FYI: Fresh 5222 avail direct from Kodak)
Reply from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] FYI: Fresh 5222 avail direct from Kodak)