Subject: [Leica] Tips for focussing a Noct?
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 11:58:59 -0400

2011 is my 10th anniversary of being a noctilux user.  it's still my
most-used lens.

even after all that time, I still shoot a lot of misses.

magnification helps.  when i started, i used 0.85 viewfinder film
cameras and when the 1.25x magnifier came out I used that, and use the
1.4x also on the m9.

rangefinders can frequently be slightly off-calibration which becomes
apparent with the noctilux and 75 lux especially.

i usually shoot focus tests like this to ensure that the camera focuses
where i expect it to:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/shino/techie/L8662791.JPG.html

i've sent in every one of my leica Ms at least once for rangefinder
adjustment.

once you are past that, the key is lots of practice.  take multiple
exposures, refocusing between them.  when you get into the zone you can
become pretty effective at nailing the focus.  but  it takes
practice--for me at least.  even if i just lay off the m9 for a couple
of months, when i pick it up, it takes some time before i can focus the
fast glass like i used to.

good luck

-rei