Subject: [Leica] 1.8 vs. 1.4!?!?
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 00:08:15 -0700

Hey guys:

1. Ted is absolutely correct: stop worrying about technical
hair-splitting; it won't make a damn bit of difference to the quality
of your shots.

2. Here is the exact physics of it. the stop value is the ratio of
the focal length to the diameter of the effective lens aperture. A
change of "one stop" is by convention a doubling or halving of the
exposure. Now the exposure has to be proportional to the area of the
aperture, thus proportion to the reciprocal of the square of the stop
value.

Now it gets nasty. Since the exposure now is proportional to "2" to
the power of the number of stops, i.e. 1 stop multiplies exposure by
2, 2 stops by 2 squared or 4, 3 stops by 2 to the power 3 or 8, then
the number of stops of 1.4 vs. 1.8 would be the logarithm (base 2) of
the square of1.8/1.4 or log (base2) of 1.654, which is 0.725, or
approximately 3/4 stop.

Peace,

Herb