Subject: [Leica] OT PSA Screening: Has the Death Knell Been Sounded?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:33:01 -0400

Interesting how this emphatically OT thread goes on. Certainly a comment on
the makeup of  the LUG's primary demographic!

Hopper's case was extraordinary. I doubt that one man in a thousand with
typical prostate cancer dies of it within 7 months of being diagnosed. Even
advanced cases usually respond extremely well to anti-androgen treatment for
at least several years. He might have had (this is speculation on my part) a
virulent rare form called small-cell carcinoma of the prostate.

PSA screening undoubtedly saves lives. How many is the question, and further
questions include how much morbidity?incontinence, impotence, chronic
radiation-induced proctitis, etc.?is created, how much money spent, how much
anxiety caused, totally needlessly, by diagnosis and treatment of non-lethal
cases of prostate cancer. Not easy questions to answer, although the answers
include the words "a whole lot".

The medical community has a lot to answer for, especially (in my opinion)
some urologists and radiation oncologists who are often all too eager to do
what they were trained to do: treat maximally. I can give you any number of
abuses which my partners and I (medical oncologists) have seen, like an
85-year-old man newly diagnosed with prostate cancer confined to the gland
itself. This is a perfect opportunity to treat with nothing but reassurance,
or at most a $1K office castration, until he dies, almost certainly of
something else. Nevertheless, at the urging of his urologist, this man?who
has early dementia and impaired comprehension and judgment?chose to undergo
robotic surgery for $50K or so, courtesy of Medicare (disbursing your money
and mine). We have had similar experiences with aggressive radiation
oncologists. Men like him who don't undergo surgery or similarly expensive
radiation therapy will almost certainly be started (by their urologists) on
a program of an anti-androgen injection every three to six months. The cost
of this exceeds $8K/yr, and accomplishes absolutely nothing beyond saving
the men from the indignity of castration. Not meaning to offend the personal
sensibilities of any LUGgers, I'd have to say that this is an expensive
vanity*, considering that the average prostate CA patient who receives this
anti-androgen therapy does so for probably between 5 and 10 years, making it
even more expensive than radiation or surgery. Here you see one of the
pernicious causes of Medicare's rapidly approaching bankruptcy: no mechanism
to refuse to pay out (your and my) dollars for the shiny, high-tech,
biologically elegant, state-of-the-art therapies that doctors and patients
naturally gravitate to and are far more expensive while being no more
effective than simple therapies, or maybe none at all. Prostate CA is just a
small slice of the whole pie of wastage. Nor does the FDA, like Medicare,
have the power to refuse approval of a new treatment or device on the
grounds that it is not cost-effective. Such judgments and limits are the
inevitable future of medicine, but it's not here yet, although reprehensibly
tardy already.

My fellow medical oncologists and I are not entirely clean ourselves. We too
employ new treatments with enormously high cost-effectiveness ratios?like
Provenge, not a region of France but a prostate CA vaccine, which costs $96K
and extends survival by an average of, ahem, 4 months. It is paid for by
Medicare and private insurors, who have no mechanism for setting
cost-effectiveness cutoffs on FDA-approved treatments. What distinguishes us
from the above is that we have been put in the position of giving patients
the choice of treatment with expensive drugs or nothing, not expensive drugs
or cheap equally effective drugs.

Rant over. Where's my M3? I've got a roll of Tri-X that wants to see the
light...

?howard

*The equivalent of Medicare paying $50K for breast augmentation?for an
elderly woman.
And I reserve the option to revisit this opinion once I've been diagnosed
with my own case...as long as the anonymous They are paying!  :-)

Replies: Reply from pjleeson at mchsi.com (Philip Leeson) ([Leica] OT PSA Screening: Has the Death Knell Been Sounded?)
Message from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] OT PSA Screening: Has the Death Knell Been Sounded?)
Message from pjleeson at mchsi.com (Philip Leeson) ([Leica] OT PSA Screening: Has the Death Knell Been Sounded?)
Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] OT PSA Screening: Has the Death Knell Been Sounded?)