Subject: [Leica] New S lens
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 01:06:19 -0400

The way they can call it a normal might be the the way most photogs get
210's for their first 4x5's as their first lens and call it a normal. While
its way longer. I believe the diagonal for 4x5 would be 163mm's if its 102 x
127 mm's. That's a 47mm discrepancy.
And the reasons are a 210mm has more coverage for swings and tilts to the
extent that you might even use it for an occasional sheet of 5x7.
And for table top photography it works out better
As for portrait work from full length and head and shoulder.

So I guess normal lens and starting lens need to be made clear as they are
not the same thing.

--
Mark R.