Subject: [Leica] How low does pigment go?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 01:35:26 -0400

Yes but they are not custom prints. They are in effect machine prints.  Like
ordering an enlargement from Robin Williams in that movie he just runs it
though another  machine they are untouched by human hands. And minds.

The main thing is a person putting together some prints for a gallery would
have them custom printed if they did not print it themselves. Custom printed
by a printer who they knew what they looked like. Not just a voice on the
phone.
There are basic levels of work. And basic levels of "services" which
supports them. A machine print cost a few dollars. A custom print made by a
guy who that's what he does cost ten times that.

Some times there is something resembling a mid level for people having a
print make for an exhibit in a trade show. Those are not automatic but
somebody looks at them at the plant, decides if its really good enough. And
if not then goes in and makes those corrections. That may be the level of
work Adorama supports.

Most my photog. friends would not bring a camera to to have it fixed.
They go to a repair place.
They go to a camera store to buy a camera and that's it.
"Outside services" such are repair and printing is a no no. we go to a place
which does that.
One reason is your camera store in most cases just sends out their
"services" and to a place worse than you'd go to. But you don't know who
that would be. And you cant talk to them

--
Mark R.