Subject: [Leica] Canon 1D X - the real marker to the end of the mega-pixel wars?
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:47:51 +0800

> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:51:48 -0700
> From: Henning Wulff <henningw at archiphoto.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon 1D X -- the real marker to the end of the
>       mega-pixel wars?
>
> Until they make a serious effort to upgrade their poorer lenses neither
> Canon nor Nikon should contemplate higher density sensors. That was one of
> the reasons I took the Panasonics on the trip to Kenya as the pixel
> density combined with the lens quality gave me better results in a much
> smaller package than I could have assembled reasonably with Canon gear.
>
> Translated to full frame, the Panasonics have the equivalent of 64mp. Few
> Canon lenses are up to that, and similarly the Nikon lenses I've tried.
> Among the few full frame lenses that can truly be said to be adequate for
> the 16mp Panasonic sensors are newer Leica lenses; at least those 50mm and
> longer.

Over the summer, at Henning's suggestion, I tested the Panasonic 100 - 300
on the Lumix GH2 against my Nikon D700 with the 70 - 200 VR II zoom with the
latest 2 X extender, shooting whales off Thieves Bay on Pender Island. I was
surprised to see that the 100 - 300 zoom produced sharper pictures than the
latest Nikkor zoom with extender. The decision to take the panasonics to
Africa was further re-enforced when I loaded my Tamrac wheeled camera bag
with the Nikons plus lenses and then with the Panas plus lenses and compared
the weights. You can see from the technical quality of the pictures from
Africa that both Henning and I have posted that the panasonic lenses are no
slouches.
Mes deux centimes.
Howard

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Canon 1D X - the real marker to the end of the mega-pixel wars?)