Subject: [Leica] Blackstone buys 44% of Leica from Dr. Kaufmann
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:10:25 +0800

London, Solms: The Blackstone Group (NYSE: BX) and ACM Projektentwicklung
GmbH today announced they have agreed a strategic partnership whereby
investment funds advised by Blackstone will acquire, indirectly through a
holding company, a 44% minority stake in Leica Camera AG (?Leica?), to
support Leica?s international growth plans. ACM and Blackstone have agreed
that the value of the transaction will not be disclosed. The transaction is
subject to regulatory approval and is expected to close in Q4/2011.

Headquartered in Solms, Germany, with 1,150 employees, Leica has a long
tradition of manufacturing premium-segment cameras and sport optics
products. Over the past sixty years, Leica has grown to become a leading
German brand and is seen as the epitome of German engineering excellence and
an ambassador of the ?Made in Germany? quality seal. Leica has become
synonymous with the best tools of the trade, blending hand-crafted quality
with a dedication to precision mechanics and producing the best optics the
industry has to offer.

Building from this highly successful market position, Leica now endeavours
to expand the business into new markets. Blackstone is seen as the right
partner to support Leica management to achieve these goals in light of its
global footprint, in particular with significant operations in Asia, and its
development capital and strategic expertise.

Dr. Andreas Kaufmann, Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Leica commented
on the transaction: ?With Blackstone we have gained an experienced and
internationally established strategic partner, which also understands and
appreciates the established brand philosophy and business model of Leica.
Following the successful turnaround of the business and record sales last
year, we are now focused on the continued development of the brand, its
products and our growth plans into new markets such as Asia, South America
and the Middle East. ACM has no plans to sell more shares in Leica Camera
AG. Our long term strategy is to accompany Leica Camera in its continued
expansion worldwide.?

Axel Herberg, Blackstone Senior Managing Director, said: ?Leica is deeply
rooted in Germany?s history and we would like to help grow the business in a
manner that is true to this heritage, ensuring that the entrepreneurial
spirit that makes Leica unique is preserved. We are very excited about
supporting Leica to secure long-term commercial relationships, specifically
in emerging markets, and help strengthen the company?s operational and
retailing capabilities globally.?

Leica Camera AG concluded the 2010/2011 financial year with record sales of
? 248.8m. The Hessen-based traditional manufacturer of cameras and sport
optics products increased turnover by 57.2 % compared to the previous year
(? 158.2 m). The operating result (EBIT) increased almost six fold: it rose
from ? 7.4 m in 2009/2010 to ? 41.6m. The consolidated surplus also took a
positive turn: at ? 36.3 m it is more than eleven times the previous year?s
figure (? 3.2m). The sales increase is attributed above all to the strong
demand for the two camera systems, Leica M and Leica S.

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Blackstone buys 44% of Leica from Dr. Kaufmann)