Subject: [Leica] Canon 1D X -- the real marker to the end of the mega-pixel wars?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:51:48 -0700
References: <506FA546-28CA-45F3-AD85-D2E9F47A781E@mac.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E913334145@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <CA+yJO1At4iUBL+vjXaSbd1P0xuubJsboTbWma7kSSXk-kQjkow@mail.gmail.com> <CAF8hL-GkCqThdFneF3ncnWhMCxNAi-tD3BU3PsVgtEaUwpMnaQ@mail.gmail.com> <40BBBB21-52C0-47CE-BA2B-8021493A6A2D@mac.com> <1318974263.71324.YahooMailNeo@web39301.mail.mud.yahoo.com> <CA+yJO1D65Wdm--qbyYij48etLvsmv5OUeH8TCw9MtYFx5a0cYg@mail.gmail.com> <4E9E0C38.40504@cox.net>

Both versions of the 16-35 are very, very poor and need to be stopped down
to f/8 at least but will still show many aberrations at the edges. I bought
a Sigma 12-24, and even though it's slower it's somewhat better.

I haven't used the 24-70, but the earlier 70-200 2.8 and 2.8 IS were not
that great. The current IS v.II is quite good, but very heavy and large.
Some primes, such as the new 100/2.8 IS are quite good, but many fast lenses
are poor and some are almost pointless on digital.

Until Canon came out with the 24TS-E II and the 17 TS-E I didn't think they
could or were willing to make the effort to make a decent wideangle lens.
Now those two are the only Canons under 35mm that I use.

Until they make a serious effort to upgrade their poorer lenses neither
Canon nor Nikon should contemplate higher density sensors. That was one of
the reasons I took the Panasonics on the trip to Kenya as the pixel density
combined with the lens quality gave me better results in a much smaller
package than I could have assembled reasonably with Canon gear.

Translated to full frame, the Panasonics have the equivalent of 64mp. Few
Canon lenses are up to that, and similarly the Nikon lenses I've tried.
Among the few full frame lenses that can truly be said to be adequate for
the 16mp Panasonic sensors are newer Leica lenses; at least those 50mm and
longer.

On 2011-10-18, at 4:31 PM, Ken Carney wrote:

> I need to find a web site to show me what to look for.  I have the Canon
> 16-35 2.8, the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 and some primes and don't see
> any of these things.  I have some default sharpening presets in ACR, but
> they are capture sharpening.  The 5DII allows you to set the sensor to
> lens distance for each lens, which does help somewhat.   I have seen some
> fringing under extreme backlighting, but no surprises there I guess.
> Maybe it's something that just occurs wide open - I usually stop down a
> little if I can.  Just curious.
>
> Ken
>
> On 10/18/2011 4:58 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
>> That's my issue with Canon lenses.  Awful purple fringing on every wide
>> angle shot.  Not to mention problems with auto-focus that make manual
>> focus
>> much faster and loss of detail because of the AA filter.  Nobody on the
>> stock lists believes me when I talk about how much better Leica lenses
>> are.
>>  Nobody cares.  Canon is good enough, I guess.  Not for me.
>>
>> Tina
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM, R. Clayton McKee<rcmphoto at
>> yahoo.com>wrote:
>>
>>> From: Chris Williams<zoeica at mac.com>

>>> had many known
>>>

>>> Yup.  Gonna wait for the Canon 1D-Xn with All New Focusing AutoFocus
>>> Action.  And then buy Zeiss glass.  For newspaper the fact that every
>>> highlight is fringed purple isn't a huge issue.  For the web, nobody
>>> notices.  For real work... umm... guys?
>>>

>>> R. Clayton McKee
>>> PhotoJournalist
>>> from somewhere just south of somewhere else...

Henning Wulff
henningw at archiphoto.com

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Canon 1D X -- the real marker to the end of the mega-pixel wars?)
Message from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Canon 1D X -- the real marker to the end of the mega-pixel wars?)