Subject: [Leica] Culmination of Sal DiMarco research
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:28:05 -0400

For my final act as an undergrad at Temple University I'm putting on a
public show of Sal DiMarco's work with the "Philadelphia Evening
& Sunday Bulletin" as well as what little of his personal work I will
be able to work through.
Dr. Ed Trayes, the director of the photography sequence as well as the
sponsor for my independent study was a friend of Sal's as well and is
looking forward to his work being shown and installed at the school.
The date of this exhibit is TBD but tentatively will be held in
mid-December. There is a chance that I will host it in late January or
early February of next year.
I never got the chance to meet Sal but just looking at the Urban
Archives collection in the Paley Library at Temple, his work pervades
Philadelphia history from the early 70's on.
Of course, every LUG member is invited. One aspect of this project is a
multimedia record and presentation of what Sal's friends and family wish
to say about him and his work.
I've learned recently that there are 40 boxes of Sal's personal
negatives which are largely uncatalogued and not archived digitally or
in print at all. The custodian of the Urban Archives, which holds
this personal work said that it was on long-term loan from Sal's
brother Joe for use by Temple students. The show is also an aim to get
this personal work archived for future use.
This is a giant project that I could work on for easily 5 more years
but its time has come.

Here is my letter to the journalism chair and faculty:

        Throughout his life, Salvatore "Sal" C. DiMarco Jr. was a
Philadelphia photographer. He worked for the "Philadelphia Evening & Sunday
Bulletin" from 1967 when he began there until the day it closed in 1982. His
tenure at the "Bulletin" saw him move up the ranks from intern all the way
to chief photographer. The photographic vision of DiMarco during those 15
years helped to shape the visual record of Philadelphia as we know it. After
the "Bulletin" closed in 1982 DiMarco worked full-time as a freelance
photojournalist. He contributed to TIME magazine, was a photographer with
the Black Star photo agency, was a member of the White House News
Photographers Association in addition to several professional journalism
organizations.
        DiMarco died suddenly on June 11, 2004 at the age of 57, leaving
behind an immense photographic collection of professional and personal
images, many of the Philadelphia area. The photographic record which Temple
University holds in the Urban Archives is invaluable and the contribution
which DiMarco made during his time at the "Bulletin" cannot be overlooked.
        I intend to bring light to the work of this Temple alum and very
important member of the Philadelphia journalism community through a memorial
show of his work with the "Bulletin" and permanently displaying some of his
photos with stories throughout the School of Communication and Theater as
well as in the Urban Archives themselves.
        Further, I hope this memorial show and installation will help me in
my effort towards getting 40 large boxes of DiMarco's personal negatives
archived for future use by Temple students and researchers in the
Philadelphia region.

Respectfully,
Philip Forrest
Temple Photojournalism Class of 2012"

Again, I will be updating the LUG on the date when this event will be
held and where the images will be displayed permanently.
I look forward to possibly meeting more of the LUG for this show and
prominently bringing Sal's very important photographic work in Philly
to the students in the journalism school as well as the whole
University.

Thanks all,
Phil Forrest

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Culmination of Sal DiMarco research)